EFFECT OF TOURISM ON THE LABOUR MARKET IN LUANGPRABANG, LAO PDR
People in the tourism industry in Luang Prabang have garnered some background, knowledge
and experience of the industry. However, they need to improve their abilities in order to keep afloat in a competitive business environment. Developing the labour market in Luang Prabang is difficult, though, because of the lack of an overall development plan, the scarcity of individual motivation, limited budgets, the shortage of qualified people in the tourism management field in either the private or public sectors and limited collaboration for tourism development. Research findings are reported upon concerning these issues and recommendations are provided for rectifying the shortcomings identified and strengthening the sustainable development of the tourism industry of Luang Prabang.
- Bouapao, L. 2005. Rural Development in Lao PDR. How Top-Down Development Creates Changes in the Rural Areas. Chiang Mai University. RCSD.
- Gunn, Geoffrey C. 1998. Theravadins, Colonialists and Commissars in Laos. Bangkok: White Lotus Co. Ltd.
- Lao National Tourism Administration. 2006. "New Statistics of Hotels, Guesthouses, Restaurants and Tourism Operators in Luang Phrabang" .
- Miles, M. B. & Huberman, A. M. 1994. Qualitative Data Analysis. London: SAGE.
- Prongjit, S. 2006. "Relationship between Training and Individual Performance Improvement" . Sasin Journal of Management, 12(1), 30-50.
- Provincial Tourism Office, Luang Prabang, 2006. Direct Tourism Employment in Luang Prabang.
- Saphakdy, T. 2005. "Mainstreaming Gender into Governance and Public Administration Organizations: A Case Study of Governance and Public Administration Reform" . Unpublished Masters' Thesis, School of Environment, Resources and Development. Asian Institute of Technology. Bangkok.
- UNESCO. 2004. The effects of tourism on culture and the environment in Asia and the Pacific: Tourism and Heritage Site Management in the World Heritage Town of Luang Prabang, Lao PDR. Bangkok: UNESCO.
- Walker, Andrew. 1999. "Women, Space, and History: Long-Distance Trading in Northwestern Laos," in Grant Evans, ed., Laos: Culture and Society. Chiang Mai. Silkworm Books. 79-99.
- Walsh, John and Pawana Techavimol. 2007. "Chinese Tourism in Thailand: Experiences and Satisfaction Level," ASEAN Journal on Hospitality and Tourism, 6(2), 105-13.
- Yamauchi, S. & Lee, D. 1999. "Tourism Development in the Lao People's Democratic Republic" . UN. DESA.