The Effectiveness of the Tourism Master Plan (TMP 2013-2020) â€“ Perceptions of Myanmarâ€™s Tourism Stakeholder
This paper is a work-in-progress that aims to assess the evaluation of the 2013-2020 Myanmar Hotel and Tourism Ministry (MHT) Tourism Master Plan (TMP 2013-2020) from the perceptions of the country's tourism stakeholders. The TMP aims to improve tourism outcomes through sustainable practices such as more practical education and training of industry staff as opposed to traditional rote learning methods which was a major concern discussed during the Australia-Myanmar Institute (AMI) conferences in Yangon and Mandalay in January 2020. Currently, much of Myanmarâ€™s tourism infrastructure, namely accommodation, is limited to the Mandalay-Naypyidaw-Yangon corridor. A further challenge to the TMP will be the Covid-19 epidemic which has inhibited tourism activity. The research assessed the perceptions of Myanmar tourism stakeholders, including peripheral communities and international tour operators, using the extracted data to suggest calls-to-action in order to improve professional practice and lead to more sustainable tourism outcomes for Myanmar including its various remote and indigenous ethnicities.
- Anon. (2014), Let the Journey Begin 2014, Foreign Policy, Washington.
- Anon. (2017). No questions asked; Education in Myanmar 2017, The Economist Intelligence Unit N.A., Incorporated, London.
- Ayoub, J. (2014). "How do Australian-based tourism stakeholders perceive the readiness of the aviation industry to handle increasing numbers of baby boomers flying?', DBA thesis, Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW.
- Bernhardt, T., Dickenson-Jones, G. & De, S.K. (2017). "New Kids on the ASEAN Block: Myanmar SMEs and Regional Economic Integration", Journal of Southeast Asian Economies, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 4-38.
- Bessey, D. & Palumbarit, M. (2016). "Comparing South Korea and Germany's official development assistance projects in climate protection in Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Vietnam", International Journal of Climate Change Strategies and Management, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 613-631.
- Business Balls. (2020). "Kirton, Cognition and Creativity', URL:< https://www.businessballs.com/change-management/kirtons-adaptation-innovation-theory/>. Accessed 02APR2020.
- Collingridge, D. & Gantt, E. (2008). 'The quality of qualitative research', American Journal of Medical Quality, vol. 23, no. 5, p. 389.
- Connell, J. & Lowe, A. (1997). 'Generating grounded theory from qualitative data: the application of inductive methods in tourism and hospitality management research', Progress in Tourism and Hospitality Research, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 165-73.
- Draucker, C. B., Martsolf, D. S., Ross, R & Rusk, T. B. (2007). 'Theoretical sampling and category development in grounded theory', Qualitative Health Research, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1137-48.
- Hallinger, P. (1998). "Educational change in Southeast Asia The challenge of creating learning systems", Journal of Educational Administration, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 492-509.
- Hobson, J. S. P. & Leung, R. (1997). "Hotel development in Myanmar", Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 60-65.
- Hussain, Z., Agrusa, J., Lema, J., & Tanner, J. (2018). "Tourism positioning in Bali", Journal of Tourism Challenges and Trends, vol. 11, pp. 99-110,127,130-131.
- Johansen, B.P. & Gopalakrishna, D. (2006). "A Buddhist View of Adult Learning in the Workplace", Advances in Developing Human Resources, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 337-345.
- Kende-Robb, C. (2017). Educating for Myanmar's Future, Prague.
- Khalid, J., Ali, A.J., Nordin, N.M. & Shah, S.F.H. 2019, "Regional Cooperation in Higher Education: Can It Lead ASEAN toward Harmonization?", Southeast Asian Studies, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 81-98.
- Kongsasana, S. (2014). Architectural Heritage: Law, Planning and Property Market, "Study of Myanmar Tourism Master Plan 2013-2020', Silpakorn University.
- Leiper, N. (2008). 'Why the tourism industry' is misleading as a generic expression: the case for the plural variation, 'tourism industries'', Tourism Management, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 237-51.
- Ministry of Hotels and Tourism (MHT). (2013) "Tourism Master Plan, 2013-2020', URL:< https://themimu.info/sites/themimu.info/files/documents/Core_Doc_Myanmar_Tourism_Master_Plan_2013-2020.pdf >. Accessed 22 April 2020.
- Ministry of Hotels and Tourism (MHT). (2020). Tourist Arrivals in 2019', URL:< https://tourism.gov.mm/statistics/arrivals-2019-december/>. Accessed 01APR2020.
- Mizzima Business Weekly. (2016). "Devoted to Training - Hilton Addresses Hotel Human Resource Needs". Newstex, Chatham.
- O'Lemmon, M. (2014). "Spirit Cults and Buddhist practice in Kep Province, Cambodia". Journal of Southeast Asian Studies, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 25-49.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). (2018). "Structural Policy Country Notes: Myanmar', URL:< https://www.oecd.org/dev/asia-pacific/saeo-2019-Myanmar.pdf>. Access 01APR2020.
- Ross, G. (2003). "Ethical beliefs, work problem-solving strategies and learning styles as mediators of tourism marketing entrepreneurialism", Journal of Vacation Marketing, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 119-136.
- Shah, S. K., & Corley, K. G. (2006). 'Building better theory by bridging the quantitative-qualitative divide', Journal of Management Studies, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 1821-35.
- Teddlie, C. & Yu, F. (2007). Mixed Methods Sampling': A Typology With Examples', Journal of Mixed Methods Research, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 77-100.
- Thein, M. (2004). "The Ancient Approach to Learning in Myanmar in Today's Context", ABAC Journal, vol. 24, no. 3.
- Thet, M. M., & Pholphirul, P. (2016). "The Perception of Myanmar Development on its Return Migrants: Implications for Burmese Migrants in Thailand", Journal of International Migration and Integration, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 995-1014.
- Tonkin, D. (2007). "The 1990 Elections in Myanmar: Broken Promises or a Failure of Communication?", Contemporary Southeast Asia, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 33-54.
- Trading Economics. (2020). "Myanmar - International Tourism, Number of Arrivals', URL:< https://tradingeconomics.com/myanmar/international-tourism-number-of-arrivals-wb-data.html>. Accessed 01APR2020.
- Tripney, J., Jorge, G. H., Newman, M., Hovish, K., Brown, C., Steinka-Fry, K. & Wilkey, E. (2013). "Post-Basic Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Interventions to Improve Employability and Employment of TVET Graduates in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: A Systematic Review", Campbell Systematic Reviews, vol. 9, no. 9.
- UNDP. (2015). Sustainable Development Goals, URL:< https://www.undp.org/content/dam/undp/library/corporate/brochure/SDGs_Booklet_Web_En.pdf>. Accessed 02APR2020
- UNESCO. (1996) "Learning: the treasure within; report to UNESCO of the International Commission on Education for the Twenty-first Century (highlights)" , URL< https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000109590>. Accessed 22 March 2020.
- Walsh, J. & Khin, K. Z. (2019). "Achieving Sustainable Community-Based Tourism in Rural Myanmar: The Case of River Ayeyarwaddy Dolphin Tourism", Zagreb International Review of Economics & Business, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 95-109.