Impact of Destination Attributes on Tourists Destination Selection: With Special Reference to Cultural Triangle of Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka is one of the fastest-growing tourist destinations in the world. Amongst tourists’
attractions, “Cultural Triangle”, a region of the cultural heritage of the country has become
the highest income generating destination. However, when compared with the other
tourists’ destinations of the country, the number of tourists visiting the cultural triangle is
low. As the literature reveals, the attributes of the destination matter in destination
selection by the international tourists. Thus, considering the importance of this region as
the top income contributor but not in terms of the number of tourists' visits, this study
problematizes the impacts of destination attributes on tourist`s destination selection.
Accordingly, the objective of this study is to identify the destination attributes and their
relationship with the tourists’ destination selection decisions. Data was collected through
questionnaires from a sample of 222 foreign tourists who visited the cultural triangle
during 2019 through a selected travel agent. Results of the multiple regression analysis
revealed that attributes of Amenities, Destination Attractions, Accessibility, Ancillary
Services, and Destination Environment as having a moderate positive relationship whilst,
the service quality weak positive relationship with Tourist’s Destination selection.
Destination attraction was identified as the most influential factor of all attributes. The
findings of this study can be used by policymakers in developing destinations for tourists’
attractions in the country.
- Atilgan, E., Akinci, S., & Aksoy, S. (2003). Mapping service quality in the tourism industry, Journal of Service Theory and Practice, 13(5): 412-422
- Buhalis, D. (2000), Marketing the Competitive Destination of Future, Tourism Management, 21, 97-116
- Cakici, A.C. & Harman, S. (2007), Importance of destination attributes affecting destination choice of Turkish birdwatchers. Journal of Commerce & Tourism Education Faculty. 131-145.
- Chen, C.F. & Chen, F.S. (2010). Experience Quality, Perceived Value, Satisfaction and Behavioral Intentions for Heritage Tourists. Tourism Management, 31, 29-35.
- Chen, C.F., & Tsai, D. (2007). How Destination Image and Evaluative Factors Affect Behavioural Intentions? Tourism Management 28(4):1115-1122
- Chi, C., & Qu, H. (2008). Examining the structural relationships of destination image, tourist satisfaction and destination loyalty: an integrated approach. Tourism Management. 29, 624-636.
- Cooper, C., Fletcher, J., Gilbert, D. and Wanhill, S. (1998) Tourism: Principles and Practice. Pitman, London.
- Crouch, G. I. (2011). Destination Competitiveness: An Analysis of Determinant Attributes. Journal of Travel Research, 50(1) 27-45.
- Dwyer, L. and Kim, C. (2003), Destination Competitiveness: Determinants and Indicators. Current Issues in Tourism. 6(5): 369-414.
- Fernando, P.I.N., Rajapaksha, R.M.P.D.K. & Kumari, K.W.S.N. (2016). Tea Tourism as a Marketing Tool: A Strategy to Develop the Image of Sri Lanka as an Attractive Tourism Destination. Kelaniya Journal of Management, Vol. 5 No. 2, 64-79.
- Fernando, S., Bandara, J. S., & Smith, C. (2017). Tourism in Sri Lanka. The Routledge Handbook of Tourism in Asia. 251-264.
- Gunasekara, I., (2014). "A Study on Impacts of Unplanned Tourism Development - with reference to Negombo Tourism Hub, Sri Lanka" .
- Guzel, B. (2017). Destination attributes in the eye of the local people. Journal of faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, 128-138
- Kim, J.H., & Ritchie, J.R.B (2010). Development of a Scale to Measure Memorable Tourism Experiences. Journal of Travel Research, 51(1) 12-25.
- Kozak, M. (2003). Measuring Tourists Satisfaction with Multiple Destination Attributes, Tourism Analysis, 7(3/4): 229-240.
- Lai, W., & Nguyen, Q.H. (2013). An Application of AHP Approach to Investigate Tourism Promotional Effectiveness. Tourism & Hospitality Management, Vol. 19, No. 1, 22
- Lakmali, A.A.I., & Warnakulasooriya, N.B.F. (2014). Investigating the existing level of tourists` destination satisfaction: A case of tourist`s travel experience in Sri Lanka. 36-55
- Lee, C.F., Huang, H., & Yeh, H. (2010). Developing an evaluation model for destination attractiveness: Sustainable forest recreation tourism in Taiwan. Journal of Sustainable Tourism 18(6):811-828
- Li, J.J., & Ali, F. (2015). Re-examination of the role of destination image in tourism: An updated literature review. Review of Tourism Research 12(3/4):191-209
- Macintosh & Goeldner, (2015). Tourism theory and practice.
- Magatef, S.G. (2015). The Impact of Tourism Marketing Mix Elements on the Satisfaction of Inbound Tourists to Jordan. International Journal of Business and Social Science, Vol. 6, No. 7, 41-58.
- Mahadzar, M., & Gani, A.A. (2018). Effects of destination attributes on tourists` behavioral intentions to Kuala Selangor. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 367-375.
- Molefe, L.P., Tauoatsoala, P. & Sifolo, P.P.S. (2018). The effects of tourism supply chain management practices on tourism operations in Pretoria, South Africa. African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure, Volume 7 (2), 16.
- Prayag, G., & Ryan, C. (2012). Antecedents of Tourists' Loyalty to Mauritius The Role and Influence of Destination Image, Place Attachment, Personal Involvement, and Satisfaction. Journal of Travel Research, 51(3), 342-356
- Riolta Sri Lanka Holidays, (2007), Cultural Triangle, Retrieved from http://www.mysrilankaholidays.com/culturaltriangle.html.
- Rome, (1963). Recommendations on international travel and tourism. United Nations Conference on International Travel and Tourism.
- Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (2018), Annual Report. https://sltda.gov.lk/annual-statistical-report
- Swarbrooke, J. & Horner, S. (2004). International Cases in Tourism Management. Business & Economics. 416.
- Swarbrooke, J. (1999). Sustainable Tourism Management. Business & Economics. 317.
- UNESCO (2015). UNESCO world heritage list. https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/
- UNWTO Annual Report (2015). https://www.e-unwto.org/doi/book/10.18111/9789284418039
- Waas. K, U.A., and Chandrarathne, U. (2020). Impact of Management and development of destination attributes on coastal tourist's visitor experience, Negombo, Sri Lanka. International Journal of Social and Business Sciences, Vol:14, No:2, 138-143.
- World Travel & Tourism Council, 2018. Travel & Tourism Economic Impact Report, World.